Did you know: almost all cinnamon rolls made in Canada and the USA use cassia cinnamon unless otherwise specified? Try out a true cinnamon roll at home!
You will need the ingredients for your favourite butter roll/bun recipe, as well as:
1/2 cup softened butter/margarine
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp Ceylon cinnamon
With your bread maker:
1. Add 2 tsp of Ceylon cinnamon to your favourite butter roll/bun recipe. Select setting for the butter roll/bun and press start.
2. At the end of the cycle, punch down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
3. Divide the dough in half. To fill, roll out the dough into ¼ inch thick rectangle.
4. Sprinkle on the filling (made from the melted butter/margarine, sugar and cinnamon – but keep some of the butter/margarine aside).
5.Roll the dough up like a jellyroll, starting from the long side. Cut into 2 inch slices.
6. Place the remaining melted margarine in the bottom of a 2.5-inch deep cake pan. Arrange the slices in the pan and cover loosely with greased waxed paper. Let rise in pan until double in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
7. Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes until tops are nicely coloured. Remove from the oven and immediately invert onto serving tray.
Note: The size of the rectangle or the number of rolls you make depends on the dough size of your bread machine.